I'm a retired educator (teacher/principal) who moved from Northern California to Payson, Arizona in September, 2010.
This blog will chronicle my adventures as I explore a different ecosystem and build my new home.

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Morning Walk

We are able to hike on paths in our neighborhood. Early morning or late evening is the best time right now as it has been about 95 degrees every day.
Doesn't this log look like an alligator?


This pond is part of the llama farm that our lot adjoins. Every morning between 4:00 and 5:00 a.m. the elk come here to drink and play in the water. Cooper likes to play in this pond as well. We added mosquito dunks to it (courtesy of the city of Payson) to cut down on the number of mosquitos.


It's very difficult to take a photo of the elk as it is usually dark. Randy did get this shot. He couldn't get any closer as they are very wary of humans and start moving fast if you approach them.


We have counted as many as 30 in this herd. Rutting season is just about to start. We have heard some bugling this week and it is just going to get noisier this month.


Cooper was very excited when he found this elk bone. He carried it all the way home and put it in his yard.


We have so many zucchini and yellow squash that we don't know what to do with it all. We made a lasagna last night that used long slices of zucchini instead of noodles. It was good but I kinda missed the noodles.
We will have pumpkins for Halloween.


This green one is 20 inches in diameter right now.


The solar panels are finally arriving early next week with an install date for Wednesday. We think we finally have all of the forms filled out and in the hands of the right people.

2 comments:

  1. We are in the same boat with zucchini. I am making zucchini chocolate cake today which uses 3 cups of zucchini in the cake. It is my favorite chocolate cake and although it would not seem like it the zucchini really disappears. I would be happy to share the recipe if you want it.

    I also grilled some zucchini with olive oil, salt and pepper and put it in a red sauce. For the boys, I whiz up the red sauce with the blender on a stick (immersion blender) so they can't see the chunks and then they just add flavor. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to have the zucchini chocolate cake recipe.....although I seem to remember making one in the past...but I don't have a recipe.

    ReplyDelete