I'm a retired educator (teacher/principal) who moved from Northern California to Payson, Arizona in September, 2010.
This blog will chronicle my adventures as I explore a different ecosystem and build my new home.

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Echinocereus


There are about 50 species of these hedgehog cacti. They are a lovely burst of color in our yard (where these photos were taken with my iPhone) and on the trails.


The flower buds form inside the stems, then burst through the skin near the stem tips in late spring and early summer.

These plants thrive on full sun. The large, mostly funnel-shaped flowers with green stigmas open fully only in sun and are long lasting.


Most are hardy and can tolerate a light frost.


Some flowers can reach 6 inches across.


The spines vary in color and the berries are wine-red.


No comments:

Post a Comment