I'm a retired educator (teacher/principal) who moved from Northern California to Payson, Arizona in September, 2010.
This blog will chronicle my adventures as I explore a different ecosystem and build my new home.

Saturday, July 13, 2013

Book Recommendation



I just finished this book and I highly recommend it! Everyone should read it. It is a memoir of Afghanistan written by an Afghan. It is unbelievable what this family had to endure as they tried to escape the regimes and factions that took over their country. They camped in caves behind colossal Buddha statues in Bamyan and took refuge with nomad cousins, herding cattle and sheep. The time of the Taliban was interesting indeed and the author survives a brutal imprisonment. I could go on but I don't want to spoil the book for those of you who have not read it.

I definitely have a better understanding of the Afghan culture and what they have had to endure over the last thirty plus years.

No comments:

Post a Comment