I'm a retired educator (teacher/principal) who moved from Northern California to Payson, Arizona in September, 2010.
This blog will chronicle my adventures as I explore a different ecosystem and build my new home.

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Slowly Getting Settled

Randy has tethered his iPhone and we have some Internet at our new house. The cable company says it will be September before we have cable (phone, TV, Internet). We are seriously thinking about signing a contract with Direct TV.
Most of the boxes are unpacked and out of the garage. The master bathroom is functional and we love it.


We love the dual head shower with room for two.


The master bedroom is the "most together" room in the house. I bought new bed linens at a Macy's super sale a year ago. Everything....rug, lamps, pillows....was at least 50 % off.


I have lots of room in the bookcases for books, photos and some nicknacks. The chairs were in our living room in CA and I had them reupholstered for the bedroom.....charcoal car upholstery fabric. (No fading, I hope.) The Emerson fan works great and the view from this window is fabulous, day or night.


I have too many family photos.....three boxes left in the garage. I found this picture ledge online and thought it might be a solution. I hung it in the short hallway leading to the master and chose some photos for it. I am going to put most of the ones in the garage in an album.


I unpacked all of the art/photos......too much!! We have so many windows that there will not be a spot for all of these. Plus....I am liking the bare walls and I'm thinking that less is more when it comes to wall art.


Kitchen is looking pretty good. We love all of the appliances. I REALLY like the farmer's sink.


The great room is our trouble spot which is a bummer because it's probably the most important room in the house. An interior decorator lives across the street from the rental property we were living in and she is coming over on Tuesday to give me some ideas. I donated a chair, ottoman and coffee table and it still seems a bit crowded or something......I need a plan and I need HELP.


This lighting fixture has to be moved so it hits over the table. It's about 6 inches off. Oh well, we tried. The electricians also have to hang the entry way light and the pendants over the bar in the kitchen.


This guest room is almost done.....I need to hang the mirror over the chest and maybe find a bookcase for the room. It could also use a few things on the walls.


Guest bathroom is looking good. I love the rack I found on Etsy.....very functional for lots of towels and/or clothes.


The exercise room is a bit of a mess. I haven't used the treadmill since we moved. It's so boring without TV. I need some storage in this room for weights and other paraphernalia. I think we are going to give the bike away as we never use it. That will give me more room.


Cooper has been enjoying his private door. He can go out into a fenced yard. I wish the cat would start using it so I could get the litter box out of my office!


My office is coming together. I have unpacked all of the books. I can't make these two chairs fit so I think the rocker is going to go. I love the closet for my printer and other unsightly stuff.


This is the other guest room but we haven't bought the twin beds yet so I am using it as a "catch all" room for now. If I don't know where something should go, I throw it in this room. All of my kid's books are in the bookcase and some of this furniture will stay in the room.


Whew......we both have sore backs and feet. We are loving the house and feel very lucky every single day!

2 comments:

  1. The house looks great, guys. I know all too well the urge to get things settle, organized and decorated. I had to force myself to slow down a bit after the last move. After a month of living in a space, without rushing, things came together a bit easier than in the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! The house looks great! I was so looking forward to seeing the "finished" photos. I really love the master bedroom and the great view!

    ReplyDelete