I'm a retired educator (teacher/principal) who moved from Northern California to Payson, Arizona in September, 2010.
This blog will chronicle my adventures as I explore a different ecosystem and build my new home.

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Fly Fishing 101

We signed up for Fly Fishing 101 with Payson Parks and Recreation today. This is Bob. He was our instructor and he has been fly fishing for many years......about 60. He knows it all.


He brought in all kinds of equipment to share......you don't need it all but it is definitely not a cheap sport. It seems like most of the folks that enjoy fly fishing also enjoy being out in nature.....sitting in a floater in the middle of a stream watching eagles overhead.....you get the picture.


He had thousands of dollars worth of flies. You really have to understand how the fish think and you have to pay attention to what they are interested in eating on that particular day in order to determine the best fly to use. How you cast your line depends on the width and depth of the stream.

We had class time and then we practiced on the lawn and on the water. Randy is really getting the hang of it. Wish I could say the same for me. I will keep practicing. It will come...I have faith.
We are going to join the Payson Flycasters. They sponsor trips, do the Trout in the Classroom program in the local schools, work with disabled veterans and breast cancer survivors and organize restoration projects and conservation programs.


No comments:

Post a Comment