I'm a retired educator (teacher/principal) who moved from Northern California to Payson, Arizona in September, 2010.
This blog will chronicle my adventures as I explore a different ecosystem and build my new home.

Monday, October 11, 2010

Fly Fishing Class

We went to Scottsdale on Sunday to take a two-hour basic fly fishing class at the Orvis store. Randy purchased a rod and miscellaneous equipment at the store last week. It's a beautiful store and the people who work there are very knowledgeable and friendly.



We drove to a local school to practice casting for an hour on their field. Boy, there is a knack to this and I haven't gotten it yet. I need to practice a lot! I am signed up to take Women's Fly Fishing 101 in Payson at the end of the month. Every person in the class is supposed to get a one-on-one coach. (Exactly what I need.)

Back at the store we learned how to tie 2 kinds of knots..... how to tie a fly on to the tippet (modified cinch knot) and how to attach the tippet to the leader (double surgeon's knot). The instructor also showed us two other knots that he uses for the same purpose.....the turle knot and the double nail knot. That was enough for me. Knots are not my thing. I will be practicing so I remember how to do them. (I was so busy learning all of this that I forgot to take out my iphone and take photos.)
I now have an app on my phone called Knot Guide thanks to my son, Jake.


House update: Plans will be ready for submission to the city planning department on Wednesday or Thursday. Hurrah!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment