I'm a retired educator (teacher/principal) who moved from Northern California to Payson, Arizona in September, 2010.
This blog will chronicle my adventures as I explore a different ecosystem and build my new home.

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Up on the Rim

Getting to the top of the Mogollon Rim takes less than an hour by car from Payson. The rim begins just east of the New Mexico border and stretches two thirds of the way across Arizona.


One of the quickest ways to stand out as a "newbie" to AZ is to mispronounce certain words. Mogollon is one of them. The region is named for Juan Ignacio Flores Mogollon, a Spanish colonial governor whose last name is pronounced "MUG-ee-own." Folks here just call it the "Rim."


There are no guard rails on any of the lookouts.....and it is quite a drop! I am not usually afraid of heights but....I kept my distance from the edge. It was at least 15-20 degrees cooler at the top of the Rim.....refreshing!


There are dozens of campgrounds, hiking trails and fishing lakes in this area (Apache Sitgreaves National Forest). Most lakes are accessible by car but there are a few that you have to hike into.....they say that's where the big fish are.

The Rim is the second most lightning struck area in the world. You are advised to get out of the open and off the rim during thunderstorms. Lightning storms are most common during July and August, although we had one last night. I love 'em!


No comments:

Post a Comment