I'm a retired educator (teacher/principal) who moved from Northern California to Payson, Arizona in September, 2010.
This blog will chronicle my adventures as I explore a different ecosystem and build my new home.

Monday, May 16, 2011

Wildflowers

We bought two books on identifying plants and wildflowers in AZ. You would think it would be easy........NOT. All of these flowers are on our building site.

I think this flower is Queen Anne's Lace.


This could be Fireweed. It's gorgeous.


I haven't a clue what this one is.......it's driving me crazy. I have looked on web sites and in books and I can't figure it out. Anyone know?


This is Gooding's Verbena......maybe.


I am pretty sure this is Globemallow.


These cuties could be Fleabane or Desert Star.


Please write a comment if you know the names of any of these. My identification abilities are definitely lacking.

3 comments:

  1. What a fun little game. This first, unidentified one looks like Astragalus cottamii to me :)

    http://www.delange.org/Astragalus2/Astragalus2.htm

    Can't be certain without better pics of the leaves and a close up of the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first picture looks like common yarrow. I'm familiar with the variety of queen anne's lace that grows on the east coast. The flowers grow in small clusters, much like yarrow. The difference is that queen anne's clusters are always round. I have yarrow in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments. I will continue to do research.....I haven't even started on the cactus yet!

    ReplyDelete